Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bridesmaids - Review

My very belated review for Bridesmaids.

Bridesmaids has been called "everything The Hangover II should have been", which is fitting enough and intended as a compliment, but overlooks the fact that Bridesmaids is miles better than The Hangover. Every bit as crass, shocking and hilarious, Bridesmaids wins because it has characters - although more than mildly screwed up - you can believe in and root for.

Kristen Wiig leads the pack as epic loser Annie; single, poor, cupcake business failed, best friend getting married and not taking it quietly at all. Acting out in subtle, and not so subtle, ways, Wiig (who co-wrote the script) is relentless in sending trouble and bad decisions Annie's way, but the more she can't get ahead, the more she becomes a beacon for anyone who ever couldn't stop screwing up. Hilarious, of course, she also shows real depth and sadness as Annie struggles to stop being her own worst enemy.

After Wiig, recent Emmy winner Melissa McCarthy gives an inspired, surreal comic performance which takes a page from Zach Galifianakis's socially inappropriate and unpredictable Alan (the best part of The Hangover), and takes it to another level. She nails every one of her scenes with such insane comic intensity and, thanks to a more meaty scene where she helpfully, and physically, illustrates the need to fight back when life is beating you up, she really could stand a chance as an awards contender.

Maya Rudolph has an authentic, off-the-wall best friend chemistry with Wiig - and is likable despite being the only stable woman in the film - and Rose Byrne gets to show off her rare comic talents as over-achieving, wealthy snob, Helen. Byrne really nails her character's peculiar psychology, but never compromises the humour. Annie: "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly and it makes me happy!" Helen: (laughing) "No, I don't...".

The rest of the cast supports well, while Mad Men's Jon Hamm excels as complete dick, Ted, and IT Crowd's Chris O'Dowd is of course the perfect sweet, dorky and honest love interest for Annie.

Director Paul Feig has created a fearlessly hilarious ("It's coming out of me like a volcano!") and heartfelt comedy centered almost entirely around women being honest about everything they're not supposed to let us see. Brilliant.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen Wiig is in many Saturday Night Live skits, so I knew this was going to be a hilarious movie. I think that when it comes to making comedies, Kristen Wiig is one of the best. I would say it was one of the best movies of 2011 right next to Horrible Bosses. I used my Blockbuster Movie Pass to rent this, and I never get tired of it. One of the best advantages to having the Blockbuster Movie Pass is the fact that I can rent pretty much any movie I want whenever I want. Plus, I can stream many movies right to my TV or computer. Whether or not I worked for DISH, I would still have and use the Blockbuster Movie Pass because they have more movies than I could ever watch! I hope Wiig keeps it coming with the awesome movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! Wiig is great, but I liked her even more in feature length than skit size. :)

    ReplyDelete